Friday, December 11, 2009

Shabby Chic On A Budget

Admittedly, when my friend Abby called and said her neighbor had a wooden headboard for sale, and the price was $3.00, I knew Abby had struck gold for me! She didn't even wait for me to say if I wanted it, she bought it up and shoved it in her car, 2 kids and all, and delivered it to me.  Abby rocks! The headboard is a double size and has carved roses and large knobs at the top.  It was exactly like the headboard used in a bench I just sold.  It has lots of dings and scratches, my personal favorite type of wood because I feel it has so much charm. It was unfinished wood and had so much potential!  

My daughter is 12 years old, and we agreed that for Christmas I would fix up the headboard and buy her a double bed since she outgrew her twin daybed.  On a little side note, the sweetest couple came and purchased her daybed last night.  They too have 3 sons and a daughter. She told me their ages: 20, 18, 18 and 12.  I asked if they have twins like me, and she said "no we are a blended family."  I really enjoyed hearing that because I have been a single mom for 8 years now, and I really hope to be a blended family some day.  I know in God's time, the right man will come to me.  Okay, so back to the headboard :)

The headboard was painted Linen White in exterior flat and it looks amazing! I normally hand paint most pieces, but this was done with a spray gun and is not distressed on the edges. It looks really sweet and perfect for my daughter.  I can always distress it later but like the way it is for now.

Her new mattress, boxspring and frame will be delivered tomorrow so I have been getting her room cleaned up today.  I used a Rachel Ashwell Simply Shabby Chic pink "silk" curtain panel that is lined and heavy for her window.  They come 84" long and I had already used the other half in my kitchen window so all I had to do was add a 1" seam for the curtain rod.  The panel is $24.95 at Target (www.target.com)

I used one of my $35 chandeliers in pink and white and hung that from the ceiling and covered the cord in my pink organza cord cover, which I have in my store for $8.00.  Then I went with my son to IKEA (www.ikea.com) and planned on buying a white ceiling canopy ($19.95).  However, when we got there, I saw that they also come in green, blue and are you ready for this...PINK!!!   The pink was only $17.00 so I bought that and came home to assemble it.  All you have to do is tie the ties onto the metal frame and it hangs from a center loop.  I had some different shades of faux pink roses I had used for display at the Rose Bowl and easily took them apart and glue gunned the roses onto the top of the frame where the ties meet the metal on the outside of the frame.  I will add pictures with the bed, but wanted to share tonight because my daughter is on cloud 9, and therefore, so am I!

Oh, and all her bedding is also from Target in the Rachel Ashwell Simply Shabby Chic collection and are extremely well priced. I can see that these pictures aren't great. I will update better ones tomorrow for the final reveal.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, it is so beautiful and I have fallen in love with your blog!

shabby*vintage*dreams said...

Looks Gorgeous!!! I would have loved a bed like that when I was younger!!! great Job!! Would love to see more