Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pink Ice Skates

Like so many people, I opened last December's Romantic Homes with great enthusiasm.  I love to see all of the beautiful holiday pages.  When I came to Cathy Scalise's hand painted pink ice skates, they took my breath away.  What a clever and creative idea! I absolutely loved them.  I never thought to work on a pair myself.  It seemed somehow out of my league. 

A year passed, and I opened the December 2009 Romantic Homes and saw pink skates, this time made by a reader named Rosanne, who had received her inspiration from Cathy Scalise. 

Feeling more confident in my craft, I bought a pair of white ice skates and went to work.  I hand painted mine pink, and painted the black heels white.  I also painted the blades white and added a thick dusting of ulta fine white glitter.  I included some pink rick rack where the heel meets the leather.  At the top I added some white marabou trim. Lastly, I added 13 pink ribbon roses for trim near the laces.



I like the way mine came out, although I admit I still think Cathy's are the prettiest I have seen.  If not for Cathy's skates, I never would have thought of making a pair, so I am grateful to her for the inspiration. 



To read more about Cathy and to see her amazing creations, please go to http://www.eleganceandwhimsy.com

2 comments:

Cathy said...

They look lovely and thank you so much for the wonderful blog post. I hope you enjoy them for many years to come.

Cathy

Shabby Cottage Shops said...

Jennifer ~ Oh I love these, I want a pair, I wish I had kept all my ice skates from when I was a kid! Such fun!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Debie
Shabby Cottage Shops